How to Prevent Nail Fungi
The most basic way to protect yourself against nail fungi infection is to be mindful of your hygiene. This includes making sure your hands and feet are thoroughly washed and soaped before going to bed. Other helpful hygiene practices include:
- Trim your nails regularly. Make sure your nails are cut short, and avoid getting them moist. As much as possible, do not apply nail polish or any other artificial substances on your nails.
- Check the socks you’re wearing. Which type of socks are they: wool, cotton, or synthetic? Synthetic socks are the best antidote against nail fungi because they don’t hold moisture well.
- Never re-use your socks. It is advisable to change socks often, especially if you have sweaty feet. Also, take off your shoes during rest intervals in order to properly aerate your feet.
- Utilize fungi-killing sprays to ward off infection. Spray areas such as your feet and the interior of your shoes.
- To keep fungi from infecting your hands, wear rubber gloves. These keep your hand dry.
- Refrain from tinkering or irritating with the skin near your nails. Doing so might encourage the growth of bacteria and fungi.
- Choose only the best nail salon when it comes to manicuring or pedicuring your nails, and make sure they sterilize their equipment.
- Never walk barefoot.
- If you come in contact with nail fungi, wash your hands thoroughly so that you won’t spread the infection to other parts of your body.